Diverging somewhat from our normal posts is a post about a new visualization developed in our group.
Eamonn is at EuroVis 2014 in Swansea this week where he will be presenting a paper viewable here Redesigning the Sequence Logo with Glyph-based Approaches to Aid Interpretation on the redesign of the infamous Sequence Logo, some screenshots which you can see below. It supports:
- multiple sequence groups for comparison;
- entropy or frequency based encoding of bar size;
- glyphs to show changes in position preference for hydropathy or charge;
- GestaltLine glyph to show overview of variation at a position; and
- Customisation to:
- reduce transparency of positions where variability is high; or
- show the consensus sequence.
Everything, as always, is open source and available with examples on our GitHub repository https://github.com/ISA-tools/SequenceLogoVis. Let us know what you think, what should be improved, etc. via our issue tracker. The paper is available here and the presentation will be online soon!